Saturday, March 7, 2009

Spring is imminent. I can smell the sap in the trees. It's an elusive scent that entices the senses into the forest. It's a scent that teases you, just out of reach, from a hidden nook that is impossible to find. But it is there just the same.
If you listen, you can also hear spring. The cardinals announce it with jubilant voice. Listen for the whoit whoit whoit high in the trees the next time you go outside. I had 3 pair of cardinals fighting at my feeder recently. I've never seen that many around at the same time. They are so much fun to watch as they flit back and forth to the feeder. Bright scarlet amidst the dull background of melting snow. The earth is ready for spring. I hope all three pair of cardinals can agree to get along and hang around. The more the merrier at my feeder.

But the juncos persist. I love the juncos. There is something about a hardy little creature that claims Minnesota as it's "south for the winter". These roly poly birds call Canada home, so Minnesota looks pretty good. I guess it's all perspective. While the birds of Minnesota complain about the snow and the drafts, the juncos are happy to find a place that is cool and refreshing when compared to the great white north. Instead of complaining, they simply embrace it. And when spring blows in and warms up the landscape, it's back north they go. I'm happy to have them for the winter and am always sad to see them go. But, I will know that ski season is right around the corner when I see them appear again.

No comments:

Post a Comment