Friday, April 10, 2009

The dichotomy of spring in Minnesota is astounding. Last Sunday, we had an unexpected snowfall. It was that beautiful, wet spring snow that makes everything look brand new. I was very sorry I did not have my camera as I was driving to church. I love spring snow. It is definitely not the same as winter snow. The Eskimos have no less than 13 words for snow. They should know. All snow is not created equal. And this particular snow was sticking to all of the trees and making everything sparkle. It was great. And then I saw the Linder's Garden Center shop set up in the parking lot of the strip mall near our house! It was all covered in snow, waiting expectantly for the day when people are ready to dig up their yards. Someday soon, the center will be stocked to overflowing with beautiful green things.

For now, we can enjoy tha adventure of spring. You just never know what you're going to get. Every day is different, so you need to be on your toes. Our driveway has filled up with chalk drawings the last couple of days and yesterday we were having fun at the park. Get out and see how many birds you can hear. They are quite active right now. The cardinals are in full voice and the chickadees are making their presence known. I think one pair of cardinals must have won the rights to my yard. I haven't seen any fights lately, so the other 2 pair must have moved onto another bird feeder.

So, take a deep breath. The air is fresh this time of year. You can smell the thawing dirt mixed with the scent of the water that will bring new life to the earth. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment